Lake Logan Martin
Logan Martin was the second dam built as a part of an Alabama Power Company construction program that further developed the Coosa River in the late 1950s and the 1960s. The project included the construction of Weiss, Henry and Bouldin dams and the redevelopment of Lay Dam. During the planning stages, the dam was known as Kelly Creek. During the first month of construction, the board of directors formally named it after William Logan Martin, Jr. He was a circuit court judge in Montgomery and also served as attorney general for the State of Alabama. In 1921, Martin was appointed as Alabama Power’s general attorney. His older brother, Thomas, was one of the founders of the company.
Double Cove Park
Also known as Logan Martin Dam Park
Located on the eastern edge of the embankment that holds back the lake topped by the aptly named Logan Martin Road, Logan Martin Picnic Area provides visitors a relaxing spot to take in views of the lake, its dam and an occasional run of skiers through the lake’s most visited slalom course.
A mainstay of Alabama Power-operated parks, Logan Martin Dam Park is also one of its more low-key places to relax. The park’s 19 structures include a fishing pier, grills, pavilions and picnic tables and were upgraded after the park sustained tornado damage in 2011. The park is open from sunrise to sunset.